Associate Pastor, FBC Jamaica Plain, Mass.
- Posted On:11/18/2016
Associate Pastor, First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain, Mass.
We are an urban, multicultural, welcoming and affirming, justice-minded American Baptist/Alliance of Baptists congregation.
Responsibilities: Oversee and organize Christian formation and related outreach programs of the church, with specific attention to youth and children. Design and implement effective classes, programs and activities whereby the talents, skills and spiritual gifts of children and youth are nurtured and are used to minister to others. Actively integrate the children/youth into all activities of church life with the goal of equipping them to lead and serve here, now and in the future. To this end the pastor will:
● Coordinate ongoing and occasional formation programs. Ongoing programming includes Sunday morning Christian education and a Wednesday evening program. Outreach programs include a monthly Friday open-mic.
● Identify, recruit and train teachers and other volunteers for regular children, youth programs.
● Provide resources and support for teachers and volunteers.
● Develop and administer a program of active outreach to the children and youth of the community.
● Organize childcare for all church events and meetings.
● Plan and coordinate special events for children and youth (mission projects, conferences, retreats, outings).
● Promote and communicate the activities to the congregation and community through church newsletter, brochures and other materials.
● Annually update Safe Church Policy. Be responsible for implementation of Safe Church policy for all volunteers.
● Collaborate closely with Pastor and Music Minister on worship services and programs. This position assumes a shared role in leading Sunday morning services and regular preaching.
● Work with the Pastor to provide pastoral care as needed.
● Assist with annual budget preparation
● Attend monthly Church Council meetings. Attend neighborhood and greater Boston clergy meetings when possible.
● Guide church leadership in planning for and funding the future of this position. Grant writing experience preferable but not required.
Qualifications: One or more years in an accredited seminary or divinity school or an MDiv, MTS or similar degree. A strong candidate for this position will demonstrate the following:
● Christian faith with an ecumenical approach to ministry (Baptist identity a plus).
● Progressive theology that welcomes and affirms all people.
● Experience working or volunteering in urban ministry settings.
● Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
● Strong communication skills in various mediums including email, phone, and mail.
● Strong writing and speaking abilities.
● Flexibility, responsibility, accountability, honesty, and a good sense of humor.
● A desire to minister alongside a diverse community of believers, in a diverse neighborhood.
This position is for 20 hours/week with an annual salary of $20,000.
No benefits are included at this time.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to
Rev. Ashlee Wiest-Laird at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2016.
We are hoping to hire in January 2017.
Men of color strongly encouraged to apply.